Thursday, October 23, 2008

Fairness Doctrine and my Job as a Radio Talk Host

If you at all follow my comings and goings you know that I am a conservative talk host as well as a generally stupid former deejay. I may be stupid but I ain't scary and I ain't hurting anyone.
The "Fairness Doctrine" scares the poop out of me.
If Senator Obama is elected, I stake my life on the inevitability that my "voice" will be removed from the airwaves.

Here is a sample of the Liberal Left's thinking on this subject and I invite you to Google "Fairness Doctrine" and see what you find. Not only is this Senator a moron, but he is sticking his fat liberal mind into an area that he has NO BUSINESS being in!
I have said it here more than once, you have a CHOICE! Turn off the radio or tv or change the station. That is the ultimate in Democracy. Don't do business with the advertisers. Whatever you want, but don't take away FREE SPEECH!!!




With the possibility of a Democratic Party supermajority after the upcoming elections, Jeff Bingaman may soon get his wish to quash dissenting viewpoints.

During an interview with KOB/ Albuquerque host Jim Villanucci, Bingaman overtly stated his full support for imposing Fairness Doctrine restrictions on free speech which would effectively shut down talk radio as we know it today.

If enacted, the Fairness Doctrine (which is anything but) would create logistical nightmares for radio programmers, leading quickly to shuttered stations. The need to "balance" every viewpoint presented would also destroy the entertainment value of talk radio, driving away the audience.

In a stunning on-air admission of his desire to re-regulate radio and infringe on free speech, Obama supporter and New Mexico Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D) argued recently that the so-called Fairness Doctrine -- which would mandate equal time for opposing viewpoints on radio programming -- would elevate talk radio to a "higher calling." Bingaman lamented that radio without the "Fairness Doctrine" has become less "intelligent."

A transcript appears below (emphases mine):

JIM VILLANUCCI, KOB radio host: Talk radio listeners are concerned about the Fairness Doctrine. Do you think there will be a push to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine?

Sen. JEFF BINGAMAN (D-N.M.): I don’t know, I certainly hope so. My own view is—

VILLANUCCI: You support it?

BINGAMAN: I do.

VILLANUCCI: You would want this radio station to have to change?

BINGAMAN: I would. I would want this station and all stations to have to present a balanced perspective and different points of view instead of hammering on one side of the political—

VILLANUCCI: In this market for instance you have KKOB. If you want liberal talk you have Air America in this market in this market. You’ve got NPR. If you have satellite radio there’s a lefty talk station and a righty talk station. Do you think there are people who aren’t able to find a viewpoint that is in sync with what they believe.

BINGAMAN: Well, I guess my thought is that radio and media generally should have a higher calling than just to reflect a particular point of view. I think they should use their authority and their broadcast power to present an informed discussion of public issues. KKOB used to live under the Fairness Doctrine—

VILLANUCCI: Yeah, we played music.

BINGAMAN: There was a lot of talk also, at least it seemed to me. And there were a lot of talk stations that seemed to do fine. The airwaves are owned by private companies at this point, there is a license to given to private companies to operate broadcast stations and that’s the way it should be. All I’m saying is for many, many years were operated under a Fairness Doctrine in this country. I think the country was well-served. I think the public discussion was at a higher level and more intelligent in those days that it has become since.

1 comment:

The Blunt Matt said...

Let's not forget that it was Reagan who eliminated the fairness doctrine. I don't have a problem with it. Because whether you want to admit it or not, Rush, O'Reilly, Hannity, et al., do not spew facts. It has been well-documented that they do not tell the truth and only sell advertising time. The airwaves belong to the people, not to corporations.

Also, it is a simple fact that there are far more right wing nut jobs on the air than anything on the left. I dislike both of them because neither relies on fact, but panders to your anger and cultivates fear to make you think that one stands behind you and is sensitive to your beliefs. I think it's only right that both sides get a say on anything that we own together...