Monday, July 30, 2007

How Important is Corporate Prayer?

This is a revision of an earlier post, since no one responded, I have reposted it, I want to know what YOU think.

The Pastor of our church, Randy, began corporate prayer at our church about 8 years ago or so. It started with maybe a dozen or so people, all taking turns praying out loud. This soon replaced our regular evening church as it grew and grew and we saw great answers to prayer.

Now, 2007, we have seen the numbers of people who attend this hour of prayer stay at about the same amount, a few more now and then, a few less, but around the same amount.

I think anyone who has attended on a regular basis can say "God has done great things" through these prayer services. We have seen people healed, and not in a goofy way like on TV, but the real quiet moving of God's Spirit healing someone. We have seen broken homes mended, young people changed, old people revived, many many miracles.

So, why do I ask the question? If it is going so good, it must be right, right?

I ask the question because with all of the evidence, why don't more people come? Why does the church today have to be entertained? Do we need "beach sunday"? Do we need more drums or guitars or singers or whatever? Are we American Christians really so stupid as to think that we must make a show of Sunday? People all over the world would kill to have our buildings and facilities. Yet we use them for "showtime".

When will the Church rise up and realize that "if my people, who are called by My Name, will humble themselves.......AND PRAY, then will I heal their land".

It took 2 events in our church to fill the barn up with people: 9/11 and the impending passing of our friend Kevin. What will it take next time? Another death? Another city blown up?

I want to know what you think.

If you are not a Christian, tell me why and tell me why we are nuts.

If you are not Evangelical, maybe Catholic, tell me what makes your prayer life different if it is?

This is really why I started this stupid blog. To hear from people!

No comments: